Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mean green machine threading machine?

I just had my first sewing class ever-Day 1 in First Samples' sewing boot camp. I arrived with my never before used 8 month old sewing machine in tow. It was still taped up and covered with this awful smelling plastic thing. I was a bit nervous because I really had no idea how to do anything sewing related except sewing buttons.

Guess what? Three hours later, I've learned about all the parts of my sewing machine, (we are now friends) and I can successfully and repeatedly thread it! It's actually kind of hypnotic to thread the bobbin, especially on my machine because once I press the foot pedal, it just starts twirling and stops automatically so I don't have to worry about anything and can just sit there and watch it. I did this about 3 times because I really couldn't believe how cool it was.

Tina Sparkles, our class teacher, is really sweet and funny, and has this sing songy sort of voice that makes it easier to pay attention to what she's telling you to do. She demonstrates on her machine, then walks around the class to each of our machines and makes sure we know how to work the parts of our specific one. We got scrap fabric and used a contrasting color of thread to practice actually sewing on our machine. We got to experiment with different stitches, learn about tension, and once we had mastered all that, we started making tote bags inspired by Lotta Jansdotter.

I brought an old indian table cloth and purchased some black fabric for the bottom panel of the tote bag from the studio. We traced and cut out our pattern pieces using a pattern by First Samples. We'll get to make the bag next week, but for now, we completed the preparation process and then went back to practicing how to sew in a straight line. Its much harder than it looks! I'm sure with practice I'll be better but right now I'm not that great. But I don't care because I can take two pieces of fabric and make them one! To me, that's pretty awesome. So is knowing about my machine and about all the cool little tools that exist to make your life easier.

For now, that's it! Check out next week's entry for pictures of the bags!

No comments: