Thursday, November 1, 2007

Adventures with thread and needle

Boy has it been a while since I wrote. Isn't that how it is supposed to be with sewing...you learn a new skill and then you forget everything else exists? Here's a brief summary of what I've been up to lately:

Swap-o-rama Rama:
Austin's Maker Faire turned out to be fantastic and Swap-o-rama rama was one of my personal highlights. People gathered from far and wide and rifled through each others' unwanted clothes, picking out hidden treasures to keep from themselves. What a fabulous wallet-friendly alternative to a shopping spree! Hooray instant gratification!

There was on the spot altering:

Screen printing:


and even a fabulous fashion show!

I had a blast watching photographing everyone find super finds and turn them into excellent items. If you've never been, you should attend next year.


East Side Halloween Costumes for Kids:

This was the most fun I've had in weeks. Shauna and her team participated in a philanthropy event where they used donated fabric to sew costumes for low income families' kids in East Austin. The kids were thrilled to watch as their ideas came to life and I have to say some of them had more creative ideas than any adult I've ever met. And I have some creative friends to say the least! Check out the Siamese twins below. We ate candy corn, popcorn, and danced to...what else? Michael Jackson's Thriller.




2 comments:

Kerri Battles said...

Those kids are so adorable! I just saw a segment on the local news about how a lot of families don't celebrate Halloween because they can't afford an elaborate costume. It used to a sheet with two holes cut out was good enough. I just saw that American's are spending a third more on their costumes now then 20 years ago. I think this charity work is an amazing thing. I really like the Fred Flintstone conjoined twins.

anonymous said...

It is so fun to read your blog about learning to sew. I have been sewing for years (since home ec class) so it all seems old hat to me. It's really interesting to hear it from your point of view. thanks for a delightful read!